Barbie Meets Mad Men
Mattel announced today a new release in the realm of “collectible” Barbies, four miniature versions of Mad Men stars Don Draper, his wife Betty, Roger Sterling, and Joan Holloway. (Read: dolls for adults who never take them out of the package. What 7-year-old watches Mad Men, anyway?). Retailing for $75 a pop and launching this summer to coincide with the fourth season of Mad Men, the dolls are fairly accurate, costume-wise, but seem to be missing a few key accessories. After the jump, we envision a few extras for Don and crew.
Though Mattel senior vice president Stephanie Cota told the New York Times, “The dolls, we feel, do a great job of embodying the series. Certain things are appropriate and certain things aren’t,” we beg to differ. Mad Men IS drinking, smoking, sexism, and the Golden Age of Advertising. Clothes by Janie Bryant do make the (wo)man, but one of the best things about Mad Men is director Matthew Weiner’s absurdly precise attention to period detail.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 2 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 6 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 7 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook