Paris Review Covers, Anonymous Book Sculptures, Edward Gorey Envelopes, and More Lit Links
- Flavorwire also posts about 15 Wonderful Songs Inspired by Poets (complete with YouTube links).
- Meanwhile, The Onion takes on the state of American poetry as only it can: Distressed Nation Turns To Poet Laureate For Solace
In addition, because the nation’s 300-million-plus citizens don’t want to miss a single word of what the poet has to say, continuous live news coverage from Fresno has preempted television programming on all channels.
“There are few things Americans love more than poetry,” said Miami-area real estate agent William Chen, who was among the masses assembled on Levine’s front lawn. “At this point, one could even say that desire for intellectual stimulation through layered poetic musings might be the only thing holding our wounded nation together.”
- Actor-turned-director James Franco has apparently given up on directing Cormac McCarthy’s insanely brilliant, dark and violent Blood Meridian in favor of adapting his equally insanely brilliant, dark and violent Child of God.
- If you missed it, John Warner wrote a moving essay about his father for The Millions last week.
- Floating Worlds: The Letters of Edward Gorey and Peter F. Neumeyer was released last week and includes scans of the completely awesome drawings that Gorey would scribble on his envelopes.
- New Yorker Book Bench recaps this weekends Brooklyn Book Fest:
The hippest line of all the very long lines at this past weekend’s Brooklyn Book Festival was the queue for the “Apocalypse Now, and Then What?” talk. Overheard:
“Are you in line for the Apocalypse?”
“Is this the Apocalypse?”
“Excuse me, what are you waiting for?”
- The best romance novel typo ever? “He stiffened for a moment but then she felt his muscles loosen as he shitted on the ground.” (One of those Ts is supposed to be an F.)
- Lastly, someone has been leaving gorgeous paper sculptures in the libraries of Scotland. Check out a full collection of them here.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 2 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 3 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 4 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 5 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 6 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 7 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook