Lipsyte! Lipsyte! Lipsyte!
Sam Lipsyte is getting around these days with his new novel, The Ask ,being reviewed everywhere from The New York Times to The Economist. And with good reason, it rocks! Here are a few more Lipsyte related links to chew on:
1) First, check out Adam Wilson’s Lipsyte introduction, published here on The Faster Times.
LIPSYTE: Yeah, I’m often keeping my ears peeled for some kind of language incident. To hear something wrong, to hear it anew, to hear it in a different way than I ever had before. I have a recent example. I was in the supermarket just buying supermarket things and it was really crowded and there were a whole bunch of cashiers in a row and my cashier mistyped the item or something and anyway the whole thing needed to be erased and we needed to start again. And she called out that phrase I’ve heard a million times in the supermarket—and there is always one guy there with a key who can help with this—but the phrase was, “I need a void!” At that moment I was receptive to other meanings of that phrase, not just the need to void the cash register but rather the idea of somebody saying, “I’m in need of a void in my life or my spiritual existence at this moment.”
3) Lastly, Sam Lipsyte will be reading in NYC on April 6th alongside many other rad writers, comedians and performers for The Rumpus/Tin House/Flavorpill event. As part of the event, The Rumpus is hosting a contest to write a 300 word story based on a Sam Lipsyte sentence. The four best will be picked to read on stage after Lipsyte. You should enter and also buy a ticket because the event is going to be great. I’ve already done both!
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Amanda Bynes’s Behavior Revealed to Be Elaborate PSA
- 2 Obama Horrified by the Grammar in Our Emails
- 3 Monster Fart Prompting Management to Rethink “Open Office”
- 4 NSA Demanded Access To Un-Filtered Instagram Photos
- 5 Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson Ambushed By Alan ‘The Paper’ Rubinstein
- 6 ‘Licensed to Kim Jong Il’ Records 27th Straight Year Atop N. Korean Charts
- 7 ‘A/S/L’ Most Asked Question At Kaplan Online University Reunion
- 8 Vice Magazine Now Only Hiring Writers Who Fail Drug Test
- 9 Stanley Cup Final One Blowout Away From “Boston Massacre” Headline Outrage