Forecast 42: Blazing a Web Pub Trail
Today marks the start of Forecast 42 Project, Shya Scanlon’s new experiment in web publishing. Tired of the traditional publishing hoops and hurdles, Scanlon is attempting a new publishing model with his genre-bending novel Forecast. Scanlon’s novel will be seriealized twice weekly online (in 42 different online journals, blogs and websites), creating a novel that spans across the online lit world.
This is an interesting project that could serve as an alternative publishing model for other writers whose work falls a bit outside of the publishing mainstream.
I remember discussing the project with Scanlon (the literary magazine I co-edit, Gigantic magazine, will be publishing the 18th chapter of Forecast) in terms of Black Flag. In the 1980s, the hardcore band Black Flag set themselves on a seemingly relentless touring schedule, criscrossing the nation and playing big cities and small towns alike (chonicled by Henry Rollins in Get in the Van). Early hardcore punk bands like Black Flag helped forge an independent touring network that gave rise to an entire subculture.
The internet has been around for quite some time, but the literary world has barely begun to exploit its potential. I think Forecast 42 is a neat step forward, even as it looks back to the 19th century model of serialization.
Will other writers follow Scanlon’s lead? We will have to wait and see. For now, check out the first chapter of Forecast over at Juked. Future chapters will apper in Htmlgiant, Opium Magazine and many other fine sites.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 2 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 6 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook