Chaz Bono: Gender Dysphoria is Not Contagious
“I’m going to be dancing. I’m not up there talking about anything other than dancing” Bono told George Stephanopoulos in a “Good Morning America” interview on Tuesday morning. “People who don’t have gender dysphoria aren’t going to catch it by watching me dance on television.”
Good point! I mean, obviously the Christian right has reason to suspect you can catch gayness and DSM-IV classified disorders via contact, but you certainly can’t catch them by watching a transgendered man dance on telelvision. The American Family Association should find better things to worry about – like Justin Timberlake’s awkward dry humping scene in “Friends With Benefits.”
While we’re on the topic, it should be noted that, although “DWTS” is trailblazing for marginalized populations in certain ways (along with Bono, this season they have also cast a gay man, Carson Kressley), they are still refusing to cast same-sex dance partners.
“On our show, a man dances with a woman,” Senior Producer Deena Katz stated. “There’s a male part to the dance — he’s the picture frame — and the woman is the picture. Never say never, but it really is about a man and a woman dancing these dances together.”
So, in short:
-Gays: it’s okay to be gay, as long as you still appear to be a straight person on national TV.
-Women: you must not only be or appear to be straight, but must also enjoy being “framed” by your masculine counterpart.
-Trans men: the public doesn’t mind watching you dance with women if you look enough like a man, but the Christians will turn their televisions to face the wall during your routine.
“DTSW” might want to reconsider their logic, but still, three cheers to Chaz Bono, who is now dancing for a cause.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook