Whoopi Goldberg Smoked a Joint Before the Oscars: How Stella Got Her Weed Back
Whoopi Goldberg smoked a joint before the Oscars. Charlie Sheen misplaced his sanity. Tiger Woods was banging women who weren’t his wife. Kate Gosselin turned into a vacuous, money-hungry, attention-whore. Sorry, I thought we were talking about things that we were supposed to be surprised about but actually weren’t at all.
In a video that has recently surfaced, Whoopi admits to smoking “a wonderful joint that was the last of my homegrown” right before winning the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for her role as Oda Mae Brown, the con-artist spirit whisperer, in the 1990 film Ghost.
Goldberg says that when her name was called, she essentially had to walk herself through-physically and mentally-going up on stage to accept the award. Afterwards, Whoopi mentions getting a call later on from her mother whom questioned her daughter about smoking beforehand because of the glassy look in her eyes during her acceptance.
Although the video is pretty funny because, well, Whoopi looks like a cartoon character, her former “drug use” shouldn’t really come as a surprise to anyone. In the recent wake of Charlie Sheen’s antics, Whoopi discussed her past drug use in a discussion on The View.
“He is an alcoholic, he is a drug user,” Goldberg said of Sheen. “He knows he has a lot of people he’s responsible for. Having been a drug addict, I feel I can say this…I was a functioning drug addict, I showed up for work because I knew a lot of people would be out of work and I wouldn’t get a check that I needed to buy my drugs.”
Goldberg went as far as to admit using her bed as a toilet because of her debilitating fear to leave it as a result of her drug use.
“I was so scared. I hit bottom,” she said. “I did that a long time ago.”
Until people start lighting themselves on fire or organizing a Jonestown style soirée, nothing is taboo anymore. For “Post-Empire” celebrities like Charlie Sheen and Lady Gaga, the idea of feeling sorry for his/her actions is laughable. In short, they know how to say “F*ck you, I do what I want” with attitude. Given the fact that this video was shot almost 20 years ago, I have a feeling Whoopi will do the same.
Read More Faster Times:
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 2 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook