Happy Birthday to Alan Moore, Whose Work Inspired a Superhero Team-Up in Kentucky
To celebrate Mr. Moore’s birthday (not really), two Kentucky library workers were fired for conspiring to keep Alan Moore’s League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Volume IV: The Black Dossier from the hands of an 11-year-old girl. The scheme was initially simple: one library worker, appalled by the sexual content of the book, kept checking out the book to keep it from circulation. When the 11-year-old girl placed a hold on it, another library worker-and this is where the real fun starts-accessed the library’s system to remove the hold, thereby preventing the precocious reader from obtaining a copy. Both workers were fired.
The worker who initially kept renewing the book, Sharon Cook, still has it in her possession and is currently being fined 10 cents a day.
The proof is in her knapsack, in a bright yellow flexible file folder, hidden from prying eyes. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume IV: The Black Dossier. It has pink and yellow highlighter tags sticking out, marking the pages that contain explicit sexual content.
And according to Cook:
People prayed over me while I was reading it because I did not want those images in my head.
Harrowing. In fairness to Cook, Black Dossier is highly sexualized, more so than the two previous League of Extraordinary Gentlemen volumes.
And also, the very last section of the book is in 3-D and requires you to read it with these nifty paper-and-plastic goggles. Which probably just intensified the problem.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook