The New York Times Obituary for the Inventor of Mad Libs, Mad-Libbed
Leonard B. Stern, an Emmy-winning writer, producer and __________[occupation] for television whose _________[adj.] search for an adjective one day led him and a colleague to create ___________ [invention], the game that asks players to fill in ____________ [pl. noun] with designated __________[pl. noun] to yield comically ________[adj.] stories, died on Tuesday at his home in __________[place]. He was ___________[number].
His death, of ____________[disease or illness], was announced by his publicist, ______________[celebrity].
As a writer, Mr. Stern received two Emmy Awards, in 1957 for “The ____________[celebrity] Show” and in 1967 for “__________[TV show],” on which he also served as ________________[occupation].
Mad Libs has attained wide _____________[adj.] success. Now comprising _______[number] volumes, the series has sold more than 150 million copies, according to its publisher, ____________[proper noun].
A children’s game show based on Mad Libs was broadcast on _____________[TV channel] in the late _____[decade].
Mad Libs was conceived in ____[year], when Mr. Stern was writing a script for _____________[TV show]. As he recounted in interviews afterward, he was casting about for a particular word. His friend ____________[celebrity], a humor writer, happened by.
“I need a(n) ____________[noun],” Mr. Stern said.
Mr. Price obligingly supplied two: “___________[noun]” and “____________[noun].”
Mr. Stern laughed out loud. The word was intended to describe the ___________[body part] of ___________[TV character].
With that, Mad Libs sold like ____________[pl. noun].
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook
- 10 Shaq Confident He Will Eventually Make Funny Quip on TNT