YOU Be the Literary Critic: Raymond Carver’s “Cathedral”
A defunct website called Misanthropy Today has generously and totally illegally posted the full text to “Cathedral,” the Raymond Carver classic short story. I had been searching for a quote from the text when I stumbled on the site, which offers the story free of charge and with only a dozen or so typos.
But the real draw of this edition of “Cathedral” are the user comments below, by a slew of Misanthropists previously unfamiliar with “Cathedral,” the work of Raymond Carver, American literature, and, perhaps, fiction as an art form.
Here are their comments, from 2007. Do not read on if you find a certain amount of intellectual elitism distasteful:
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Amanda Bynes’s Behavior Revealed to Be Elaborate PSA
- 2 Obama Horrified by the Grammar in Our Emails
- 3 Incidental Boob Graze Redeems Trust Fall Exercise
- 4 Monster Fart Prompting Management to Rethink “Open Office”
- 5 NSA Demanded Access To Un-Filtered Instagram Photos
- 6 Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson Ambushed By Alan ‘The Paper’ Rubinstein
- 7 Local Bully: Gay Boy Scouts a Dream Come True
- 8 ‘Licensed to Kim Jong Il’ Records 27th Straight Year Atop N. Korean Charts
- 9 ‘A/S/L’ Most Asked Question At Kaplan Online University Reunion
- 10 Stanley Cup Final One Blowout Away From “Boston Massacre” Headline Outrage