YOU Be the Literary Critic: Raymond Carver’s “Cathedral”
A defunct website called Misanthropy Today has generously and totally illegally posted the full text to “Cathedral,” the Raymond Carver classic short story. I had been searching for a quote from the text when I stumbled on the site, which offers the story free of charge and with only a dozen or so typos.
But the real draw of this edition of “Cathedral” are the user comments below, by a slew of Misanthropists previously unfamiliar with “Cathedral,” the work of Raymond Carver, American literature, and, perhaps, fiction as an art form.
Here are their comments, from 2007. Do not read on if you find a certain amount of intellectual elitism distasteful:
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook
- 10 Shaq Confident He Will Eventually Make Funny Quip on TNT