“Manny Pacquiao Day” Declared in California, Prior to Margarito Bout
Boxing’s pinoy boy Manny Pacquiao returned to the Wild Card Gym in Los Angeles once again, leaving behind his unfathomable stardom to say to himself – like Muhammad Ali once did – “Don’t quit, suffer now, to be a champ the rest of your life.” To get his eigth belt, he’ll have to take the bigger, taller, naturally heavier Antonio Margarito; although, his size and strength might be a challenge for the five and a half foot fighter, coach Freddie Roach remains confident of a “Pac Man” knock-out.
Unfortunately, the distractions for Manny even in California have been many. After being recieved in San Diego by local politicians on October 24th, Pacquiao was given the city key, and even listened curiously as he was told that day would be commemorated as ” Manny Pacquiao Day” in the state of California.
But for the boxing world it is November 13th at Cowboys Stadium that will decide if it will be Pacquiao or Margarito’s day. The “Tijuana Tornado”, in rare inspired moment, began bragging that Manny will “eat his punches.”
HBO commentator Max Kellerman had a round-table discussion with both boxers and their trainers, in which he instigates an argument over Margarito’s exposed cheating – namely using cement in his wraps. Margarito fires back at a smiling Pacquiao, that he’s heard about his steroid use. Even without the synth-horror soundtrack, it’s a strange, eerie scene.
HBO has also started their 24/7 hype machine, and like a fool I fall for it every time. Silly voice overs, pointless interviews, the hopping, skipping and swinging have me enraptured, although a better part of me knows it’s ridiculous and prefers raw, amateurish youtube training footage, or taunt videos like this one, that juxtaposes Pacquiao a copella versus Margarito a puños. (Sidenote: Manny may sing pop music, but Margarito works out to rancheras.)
Manny has been said to have busted an unnamed sparring partner’s nose already. His partner was quickly shown the door back to his native Detroit. But Pacquiao will need to do more than bust Margarito’s nose to win the fight. Maybe next time he should aim for the jaw.
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 2 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 6 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook