Kirkland Released From Prison: Who To Take On Next?
Texan James Kirkland was released from prison to a half-way house last week. He was arrested for arms possession as a felon in April of 2009. Kirkland had served two years for an armed robbery conviction in 2003, before he was released on parole, then violating it last April.
Kirkland had gone to a gun show and tried to purchase a firearm, when undercover agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms appeared. In Texas, a felon in possession of a firearm warrants a ten year sentence. According to Kirkland, the agents allowed him to leave the show, only to follow him and arrest him. On September 30th, 2009, Kirkland was sentenced to an additional 18 months in the Bathrop Federal Prison.
Much to the chagrin of his promoters, last week Kirkland received a reduced sentence to be completed at a half-way house, which will allow him to train and fight as early as this November.
In an interview with Gabriel Montoya, Kirkland also explained that he had been robbed at gunpoint previously.
Oscar De la Hoya explained to the press, “I know how hard he works and he’s been waiting for this moment to prove to the world that he shouldn’t be judged by his mistakes in the past, but how he fixes those mistakes and becomes a role model for young men and women everywhere.”
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 2 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 3 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 4 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 5 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Startup
- 6 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 7 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 8 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 9 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook
- 10 Shaq Confident He Will Eventually Make Funny Quip on TNT