Beethoven Was Selfish
Dear Jonathan Katz,
I’m a writer/editor recently laid off from a web publishing job. Now I’m looking for steady work but it’s been hard to find. A friend of mine, also in publishing, was also laid off. She’s been very generous and helpful letting me know about potential job opportunities, even jobs she might be applying for herself. But when I hear about a job opening first, I tend to keep it to myself, knowing that informing her about it would only invite more competition. I feel guilty, but work is scarce these days. Am I being selfish?
Without selfish people we would not have bridges to cross or tunnels to enter. We would not have wonderful novels to read or movies to see. If Beethoven had not been selfish he would have written for the recorder. For you to be anything less than selfish would be a true act of selfishness.
I hope this has been helpful,
Follow us on twitter@thefastertimes
- 1 Brooklyn Man Now Living Entirely Off Own Beard Garden
- 2 “Cra Cra” Now Official Diagnosis in New DSM (DSM-5)
- 3 OfficeMax Marketing Director Struggling to Make Staplers ‘Sexy’ and ‘Conversational’
- 4 First Openly Straight Figure Skater Comes Forward
- 5 Area Man Tailors Life To Be More Relevant To His Hulu Advertisements
- 6 Fan Banging Furiously on Glass Could Be the Difference in Hockey Playoffs
- 7 Survey: 88% of Eagles Fans Too Drunk To Spell Nnamdi Asomugha Last Season
- 8 Attorney Actually Starting to Believe Own Bullshit
- 9 Homeless Guy Woos Silicon Valley VCs with Low-Tech Crowdfunding Strartup
- 10 Local Mom Won’t Stop Being First Person to Like Every Goddamn Thing Son Posts to Facebook